Present: Steve Sandberg, Jennifer Gahnstrom, Anne Tiller, Greg Garman, Mary Parker
These questions were raised and sometimes answered:
- How to find out what’s going on every day at Walker: Walker Church Calendar can be found on our website and is kept up to date by Jennifer. Jennifer will post events on Facebook if you send them to her.
- What’s happening with a sound system for sanctuary? How much would that cost? We need a good one if we have musical groups coming in.
- How is the completion of the kitchen coming along?
- We need a Wedding Coordinator so we can rent to more weddings.
Any suggestions, discussion?
Anne Tiller: Can I have regular showings of Bioneers DVDs in the sanctuary, with a potluck after? Answer: Yes!
Kristine Smith: (via Steve S.) Suggests having a monthly music concert in the sanctuary using a known musical group as a draw.
Then we got into a lengthy discussion of Communications (i.e. website, Facebook and all forms of marketing).
A Communications Task Force was suggested and the following people were suggested as members: Jennifer, Steve S., Deb Ramage, Jim Feldman (current webmaster) and Al Hildenbrand.
This task force would do the following:
- Decide policy about what’s public and what’s not on website and Facebook
- Discuss and oversee creation of an updated webpage
- Educate the congregation in use of Facebook as a way to promote dissemination of information about events at Walker.
We are looking for “follow through” on the many many ideas we come up with as a community in our “visioning” sessions!
We are in large part an aging congregation. We seem tired. Who wants to take initiative anymore?
Walker member attendance is low at activist events held at Walker.
Jennifer Gahnstrom is mainly responsible for the continued recognition of Walker Church as an activist organization because she actively works to rent to activist groups and she oversees their use of the building. She has been a constant in this regard for many years and her good reputation is known in the activist communities.
Mary gave a list of “coming attractions” at Walker. And she gave a little pep talk about keeping our eye on the “prize”, which is the increased good health and joy of our community. We can’t let ourselves be pressed down by the concrete slab of history. If we turn our attention to what’s best for our community and not for individuals, we can bust through any blockages!
Minutes by Mary Parker